Economics 101, A Novelwritten by Joel Matthew Rees
(Copyright established 2016, Joel Matthew Rees.)
All rights reserved.
This is now the backup of the table of contents before the cleaned up table of contents for the first draft, which you can find here:
You probably aren't interested in what is here, it's mostly edit record. You are probably more interested in the cleaned up rough draft, which I am working on at the above link.
I will be changing the links here to point to the backups/edit records instead of the cleaned up first draft, a little at a time.
I'm trying to set up a simplified discussion of economics in the form of a novel. I'm not sure how successful it will be.
This is intended as a simplified discussion of some of the basics of economics, in the form of a novel. It is not intended to be a complete theory.
(Perhaps I should be consider it assumed, but I will note that the story includes some discussion of matters of a sexual nature.)
(Perhaps I should be consider it assumed, but I will note that the story contains some discussion of matters of a sexual nature.)
[JMR201804071847: end edits]
And you were both faithful followers of a religion that frowns on being married without getting married.
And you were both faithful followers of a religion that frowns on behaving as if you're married without actually getting married.
Perhaps I should be consider it assumed, but I should note that the characters of this story will be talking about matters of sexual nature from time to time, including histories of rape and abuse.
Perhaps I should be consider it assumed, but I will note that the story includes some discussion of matters of a sexual nature.
[JMR201803031329: edit end]
(Perhaps it should be considered implicit, but the characters of this story will be talking about matters of sexual nature from time to time, including histories of rape and abuse.)
(Perhaps I should be consider it assumed, but I should note that the characters of this story will be talking about matters of sexual nature from time to time, including histories of rape and abuse.)
[JMR201803031329: edit end]
I'm trying to set up a simplified discussion of economics in the form of a novel.
I'm not sure how successful I will be, but this is the index page, to make it easier to get to.
Except that I have put the almost-final draft on hold: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-whats-happening.html.
The rough draft is pretty much complete, now, with the chapters as listed below.
No, I did not intend the prologue to be chapter 42. Pure chance. If I had planned it that way, of course it wouldn't have worked. I had intended to write a few chapters getting their hut built, and move them out of the tent before what ended up as chapter 40, in case anyone is curious. I just ran out of time.
(Which may be just as well, because I was also thinking about having them jump a shark or two in the process. :)
For some reason, it's surprising to me how quickly the story gets mushy. I did not intend to write one of those pulp romance novels, here. I guess, since the simplification requires two people, and since human nature in the equations required that to be a male-female pair, it shouldn't have been surprising.
It was also surprising to me that I ended up including some rather frank discussion of matters relating to sex. To those who choose to continue reading, I apologize in advance.
[JMR201608011221 -- I have forgotten to correct something:
It seems that the the tension can't really be completely removed without destroying both the economic models and the plot.
If you choose to continue reading, please be aware of that.
[The table of contents of the second draft of the characterizations chapters (chapters 02 to 9) of this novel is here: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2017/01/soc500-00-00-toc.html.]
Here are the chapters, in order. As new chapters are completed, I'll link them here.
- Preface -- In which we frame the story on a desert island: https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/03/bk-economics-101-novel-ch00.html
- Chapter 01 -- In which Bobbie is admitted to graduate school, to work on her PhD: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch01-introducing.html
- Chapter 02 -- In which Karel and Dan are admitted to grad school: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch02-introducing.html
- Chapter 03 -- In which Bobbie and Kristie meet Karel and Dan: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch03-introducing.html
- Chapter 04 -- In which the four become very good friends: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch04-going-by-four.html
- Some letters home that I left out of Chapter 04: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch04-going-by-four-letters-home.html
- Chapter 05 -- In which the four spend their first semester together: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch05-first-semester.html
- The trip back to school before their second semester starts: This is where they begin really trusting each other: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/06/economics-101-novel-ch05-9-heading-back.html
- Chapter 06 -- In which things become a little complicated during the second semester.
- As the semester begins, they find things are not as easy as they were: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/07/economics-101-novel-ch06-pt1-second.html
- Things get a little complicated as they begin dating others: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/07/economics-101-novel-ch06-pt2-dating.html
- And a lot more things happened during the second semester: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/07/economics-101-novel-ch06-pt3-more-of.html
- And they studied about faith: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch06-pt4-faith.html
- And, finally, they got through the end of the semester and into summer: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch06-pt5-heading.html
- Chapter 07 -- In which Dan and Kristie graduate and Karel and Bobbie try to figure out what the future holds for them.
- As the second year begins, they adjust to being resident assistants: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch07-pt1-third.html
- As the third semester continues, we study the concept of romance: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch07-pt2-getting.html
- In the fourth semester, things get messy, but they start clearing up by the end of summer: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch07-pt3-stormy.html
- Chapter 08 -- In which Karel and Bobbie get ready to go to the Islands: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch08-getting-ready.html
- Chapter 09 -- In which Bobbie and Karel do their research, but we ignore most of the details: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch09-in-islands.html.
- Chapter 10 -- In which Bobbie and Karel's priorities begin to change: https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/03/bk-economics-101-novel-ch10-bobbie-and.html
- Chapter 11 -- In which Wycliffe repents of his plot, maybe too late: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/2016/03/economics-101-novel-ch11-wycliffe.html
- Chapter 12 -- In which Karel and Bobbie begin to explore the lab: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/2016/03/economics-101-novel-ch12-tentative.html
- Chapter 13 -- In which Zedidiah begins searching for the missing: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/2016/03/economics-101-novel-ch13-no-contact.html
- Chapter 14 -- In which Bobbie and Karel take a look around their new home: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch14-morning-of.html
- Chapter 15 -- In which commitment is discussed and people behave responsibly: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch15-storms.html
- Chapter 16 -- In which Wycliffe and his grandparents are chaperones: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch16-dormitory-hall.html
- Chapter 17 -- In which Karel and Bobbie discover that they still have to take it slow: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch17-taking-rest.html
- Chapter 18 -- In which Bobbie and Karel establish some basic patterns for survival: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch18-preparing-for.html
- Chapter 19 -- In which the author proposes a meaningless model of economic interaction: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch19-mathematical.html
- Chapter 20 -- In which two sets of parents begin a journey to find their children: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch20-moving-on-hunch.html
- Chapter 21 -- In which Zedidiah finds that Wycliffe has run out of fuel: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch21-checking-plane.html
- Chapter 22 -- In which Karel and Bobbie start settling into their work and learning to rest: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.jp/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch22-making-rope.html
- Chapter 23 -- In which the search begins: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch23-searching-for.html
- Chapter 24 -- In which Wycliffe is found, and bid farewell: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch24-their-parents.html
- Chapter 25 -- In which Bobbie and Karel start learning to negotiate important things: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch25-looking-for.html
- Chapter 26 -- In which important things are discovered and uncovered: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch26-finding-trees.html
- Chapter 27 -- In which Bobbie and Karel finally begin negotiating in earnest: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch27-keeping.html
- Chapter 28 -- In which Bobbie and Karel practice architecture: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch28-planning-hut.html
- Chapter 29 -- In which I practice writing cheap paperback romance, gratis (or is it gratuitous?): http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch29-dreams.html
- Chapter 30 -- In which Bobbie gains confidence in their future and Karel faces certain fears: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch30-fear-at-night.html
[JMR20170419: -- strike:
Chapter 31 has has been superseded.]
You probably do not want need to jump directly to read chapter 31.
There are two versions below, and both actually start with have been superseded by moving the explicit version into chapter 30, with some rewriting.
- Chapter 31 (modest version) -- In which Karel's fears are resolved a bit too simply (modest version): http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch31-reality.html
- Chapter 31 (alternate version -- content warning! -- In which certain sexual matters are discussed and Karel's fears are resolved a bit more
(You'll have to click through the warning. It's only a discussion of important sexual matters, but I don't want people stumbling onto the discussion unaware of the content.)
- Chapter 32 -- In which Karel and Bobbie rediscover the arts of weaving: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch32-weaving.html
- Chapter 33 -- In which Bobbie and Karel make their best efforts for the law on a rainy day: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch33-legal-basis.html
- Chapter 34 -- In which Bobbie and Karel get busy and start harvesting building materials: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch34-construction.html
- Chapter 35 -- In which Karel and Bobbie continue harvesting building materials: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch35-bamboo-lumber.html
- Chapter 36 -- In which Karel and Bobbie experiment with the foods on the island while they wait for bamboo to leach and dry: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch36-learning.html
- Chapter 37 -- In which Karel has a nightmare and Bobbie gets worried: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/06/economics-101-novel-ch37-legal.html
- Chapter 38 -- In which their parents and professor change their approach to searching for them, and Zedidiah takes his own approach: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/07/economics-101-novel-ch38-changing.html
- Chapter 39 -- In which Karel and Bobby practice a little mathematics and look for a holy place: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/07/economics-101-novel-ch39-trig-in.html
- Chapter 40 -- In which Karel and Bobbie are helped to understand choices and covenants: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch40-choices-and.html
- Chapter 41 -- In which Karel and Bobbie are able to satisfy the requirements of the laws of God, and of Man: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch41-covenants-made.html
- Chapter 42 -- In which Bobbie and Karel finally get to have a honeymoon and I engage in gratuitous moralizing and call it a prologue: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/08/economics-101-novel-ch42-prologue.html
- Chapter 43 -- In which Bobbie and Karel weather a monsoon season, talk about money, and lose a baby (But do they really?): http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/12/economics-101-novel-ch43-children.html