The Novels

Economics 101, a Novel (Rough Draft) -- My first sustained attempt at a novel, two-thirds finished in rough draft, and heading a little too far south.
What would you do if you and your study partner, with whom you had been seriously discussing marriage, suddenly found yourselves all alone together on a desert island? Study economics?
Sociology 500, a Romance (Second Draft) -- The first book in the Economics 101 Trilogy.(On hold.)
Karel and Dan, former American football teammates and now graduate students, meet fellow graduate students Kristie and Bobbie, and the four form a steady study group.

Featured Post

Sociology 500, a Romance, ch 1 pt 1 -- Introducing Bobbie

TOC Well, let's meet Roberta Whitmer. Bobbie entered the anthropology department office and looked around. Near the receptionis...

Friday, June 17, 2016

Economics 101, a Novel, ch 190 -- Mathematical Models

[JMR20160909: This was a blind alley. I am currently working in the initial (rough) draft of this chapter, here: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch19-mathematical.html.]


(The story starts here: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.jp/2016/06/econ101-novel-ch000-excuses.html.)

This attempt to build a simplified model for talking about the basics of economics has been my most sustained effort at coherent non-engineering rhetoric to date.

(I am not making any big claims here. My previous best would probably also be found somewhere among the rants in my free-is-not-free blog webrant: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/. Or somewhere else in the 'brants and other web documents blogspot/google is hosting for me, I guess.)

The previous chapter, about Bobbie and Karel preparing for the long haul (http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-ch180-preparing-for-long-haul.html), is the closest I have come in this novel to outlining the interactions in the simplified model. It also appears to be the least interesting chapter so far. I suppose, now that I think about this as a novel, the model I'm trying to develop should be lacking in all that makes a novel interesting.

(But please read the previous chapter if you haven't. It won't kill you. And I think it's pretty easy reading, too, in spite of my sloppy writing.)

I mean, I'm attempting to create a model of economic interactions, and I'm asking you to buy this model as a novel. (Or at least read it as a novel, even if you don't buy it.)

A simplified model, a mathematical reduction.

I'm asking you, the reader, to be interested in mathematics, well, at least interested in my feeble efforts to explain mathematics.

So, I suppose I should at least give a hint of a more explicit version of the model I'm trying to develop.

I had intended chapter 20 to be where the story shifts to the model and stays within it. But I'm finding that the supporting story is calling me, clamoring for attention.

(I am even actually writing chapters 010 through 099, which I had originally intended to leave to your imagination. But I may publish those as a separate novel, so I can do them justice. Then again, I'm not sure those chapters will be all that much more exciting than the last chapter.)

So, my chapter numbering scheme was too rigid, and the model itself is getting mixed into the narrative. I'm wandering.

Okay, okay, the model:


Some models of particle physics theorize something called an "exchange particle" that that provides the "magic" for physical interaction. Static electricity is not really an example, but it my help show the idea.

You have a molecule of hair protein in a hair, and a molecule of rubber in a balloon. Well, you have lots of molecules, but let's focus on one of each.

The balloon rubs the hair and an electron (or maybe more than one) migrates between the hair molecule and the rubber molecule, and a small attractive force is produced. (I forget which direction the electron migrates. ;-> )

Anyway, with lots of hair molecules in a hair (and lots of hair on a head, if you are not balding like I am), and lots of rubber in a balloon, lots of electrons move from the hair to the balloon, and the balloon sticks to the hair. (Or, looking at it relativistically, the hair sticks to the balloon. Oh. That's not just relativistic.)

Here we are in this story, rubbing, if you will pardon the expression, two large particles together -- Karel and Bobbie. That is, we are putting them in close contact and friction results.

As a result of the friction, they exchange value particles -- words and work that they share.

There is no need for money here. (In fact, any proxy for value will get in the way in this simple model, which is something I'll try to talk about once I can focus more on the model, but you may be too bored to continue reading by then. :-< )

Value is not nearly as measurable as an electron, but its influence is just as recognizable.

And the exchange of value results in repelling forces and attracting forces.

(Repelling forces -- that would be shown pretty well in the chapter before last: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-ch170-taking-rest.html.)

Okay, hopefully, that is enough of a hint of a model for the moment. We need to find out what their professor and their parents are doing: http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-ch200-on-a-hunch.html.




The table of contents can be found here:
http://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2016/06/econ101-novel-toc.html.

[The initial (rough) draft of this chapter is here: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/04/economics-101-novel-ch19-mathematical.html.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it on topic, and be patient with the moderator. I have other things to do, too, you know.