The Novels

Economics 101, a Novel (Rough Draft) -- My first sustained attempt at a novel, two-thirds finished in rough draft, and heading a little too far south.
What would you do if you and your study partner, with whom you had been seriously discussing marriage, suddenly found yourselves all alone together on a desert island? Study economics?
Sociology 500, a Romance (Second Draft) -- The first book in the Economics 101 Trilogy.(On hold.)
Karel and Dan, former American football teammates and now graduate students, meet fellow graduate students Kristie and Bobbie, and the four form a steady study group.

Featured Post

Sociology 500, a Romance, ch 1 pt 1 -- Introducing Bobbie

TOC Well, let's meet Roberta Whitmer. Bobbie entered the anthropology department office and looked around. Near the receptionis...

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Sociology 500, a Novel, ch 2 pt 1 -- The Boys Talk

Previous

Dan and Karel think they've been through this fire drill before.



"Suddenly I'm thinking the apartment off campus is not so great." Dan was grumbling as he and Karel left the Education Building.

"Why is that?"

"Re-you Tenny Hannah. No. Yo-yo Bennie Hannah. What's that Japanese saying?"

"I'm not recognizing anything you are saying, here."

"What happened back there. The best-looking girls in the whole lecture, and there they are sitting either side of you. I should be rooming with you."

"Sheer coincidence."

"And when you found the holes in the other teams' lines on the football field, that was sheer coincidence, too."

"I still don't really understand how I could dig those holes in the defense."

"Drove the coaches up a wall. You'd be out there, totally out of position, looking like you had just wandered onto the field, and suddenly there'd be nobody around you. And when I looked at the right time, if I could get it to you, you'd take the ball and go for what we needed. And the offense, too. You'd be nowhere around as a big play was forming, and suddenly the play would run into you and you'd break it up. Maybe steal the ball while you were at it."

"I think it had something to do with me being in my own world a lot. I had different goals than most of the players. But that wouldn't tell anybody how to do what I was doing. Doesn't explain much."

"That's exactly what the coaches said. Unpredictable. Can't teach others how to do it, can't design plays around it. And it was why the team waived you after the second year."

"They didn't know what to do with me. They wanted something to take to the bank."

"You were just having fun."

"Yep. So, what does this have to do with me ending up, as you think, ryō-te-ni-hana? That was what you were trying to say, wasn't it? Flower in either hand?"

(If you can display Kanji: 「両手に花」)

"Yeah. That one. Uhm. So, ... what does it have to do with ...? Well, ... uhhmm You weren't doing what everyone else does?

"Well, yeah, but what was different?"

"Okay, so I and all the other guys are looking to get a date. And get married. And you are not. You're just having fun."

"And helping others have fun. I think that's why some women feel comfortable around me."

"So all I have to do is quit trying to get a date?"

"I don't think it's quite that simple. The minute I ask a woman to go out, she usually runs away."

"And that's why you still aren't married."

"I guess."

"And we've had this conversation before."

"True. I've gotta get to my next class."

"Okay, 6:30 in the university president's garden, right?"

"Seems a bit early to me, but that's what they said, and we agreed."

"And tell me more about Bobbie."

"Huh? Uh, Later. Gotta go."

"Yeah, later."




Previous TOC Next



[There are no previous versions.]



[The original of this chapter can be found in the first draft, here: http://free-is-not-free.blogspot.com/2016/05/economics-101-novel-ch04-going-by-four.html.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it on topic, and be patient with the moderator. I have other things to do, too, you know.