The Novels

Economics 101, a Novel (Rough Draft) -- My first sustained attempt at a novel, two-thirds finished in rough draft, and heading a little too far south.
What would you do if you and your study partner, with whom you had been seriously discussing marriage, suddenly found yourselves all alone together on a desert island? Study economics?
Sociology 500, a Romance (Second Draft) -- The first book in the Economics 101 Trilogy.(On hold.)
Karel and Dan, former American football teammates and now graduate students, meet fellow graduate students Kristie and Bobbie, and the four form a steady study group.

Featured Post

Sociology 500, a Romance, ch 1 pt 1 -- Introducing Bobbie

TOC Well, let's meet Roberta Whitmer. Bobbie entered the anthropology department office and looked around. Near the receptionis...

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Backup: 33209: Homecoming Dance -- Work

Backup of https://joelrees-novels.blogspot.com/2020/01/33209-homecoming-dance-work.html.

Chapter 1.1 -- Homecoming Dance -- Dancing at Church

Chapter 1.2 -- Homecoming Dance -- Work


Mom suggested I take the newspaper route back over for school books and dating money. While I was in Japan, one of my old managers at the Odessa American circulation department had asked if I was available, and she had taken on one of my old routes in my stead while I was on my mission -- mostly for exercise and for talking to the neighbors. She said she was now ready to start just walking without the newspapers for exercise.

Dad was not enthusiastic. "You're not going to save up enough money for school with a paper route."

"It's enough to go to OC. With an associate's degree, I should have better leverage for part-time work while I go to a four-year school."

"I don't think that's the way it works. Why don't you go see if Texas Instruments will hire you back on?"

I had worked for TI as an assembly line test and repair technician, at the plant near the airport, for about six months before my mission.

"Dad, I never really came up to speed when I was working for them."

"Then why did they put you on the startup Speak-n-Spell line?"

"'Cause I wasn't productive anywhere else."

I now realize that probably was not true.

"What was it you designed for them? You said you did something the engineers were too busy to do."

"Power supply regulator circuit for the test station power supplies. But it was just a hack, a stop-gap until they could get an engineer to do the real job."

"Did they say anything about talking with them again after your mission was done?"

"No. I got the impression they were disappointed that I was dropping out, but not that unhappy."

There, too, I now think I may have misinterpreted their efforts to understand my need to go serve my God.

"You won't know for sure unless you go back and apply again."

I didn't have a good answer for that, but I never went back to TI to find out.

Chika once said, when I mentioned I had worked for TI before my mission, that I should have gone back to TI. I could have taken classes at OC and UTBP in the evenings. With my broken Japanese being better than the nothing that was the option then, TI would have sent me to TI Japan after I was up to speed, and then Chika and I would have met when I went down to the Kansai area for some single's activity with the Church. And I would have had a stable job and money when we got married.

You can hypothesize anything when you start with a known false premise, and no one can prove you wrong. Can't prove you right, either, but that's apparently beside the point.

On the other hand, if it was right to marry Chika, if the Lord had led us in spite of the mistakes we made on the way, perhaps He would have led us to each other even if I had followed the better road. Hypothesis contrary to fact, but God does love his children.

So Mom and I went to the Odessa American offices and made the necessary arrangements, and I started delivering newspapers in the afternoons and weekend mornings in December. That gave me a small, consistent framework to start reaching back out to the world in, and time to think.

And time to try to read that Japanese novel, practically one character at a time.

During the weeks that followed, I applied for readmission to Odessa College, went to talk with the stake leaders, and generally tried to figure my life out.


[Backed up at https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2020/01/bk-33209-homecoming-dance-work.html.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it on topic, and be patient with the moderator. I have other things to do, too, you know.