The Novels

Economics 101, a Novel (Rough Draft) -- My first sustained attempt at a novel, two-thirds finished in rough draft, and heading a little too far south.
What would you do if you and your study partner, with whom you had been seriously discussing marriage, suddenly found yourselves all alone together on a desert island? Study economics?
Sociology 500, a Romance (Second Draft) -- The first book in the Economics 101 Trilogy.(On hold.)
Karel and Dan, former American football teammates and now graduate students, meet fellow graduate students Kristie and Bobbie, and the four form a steady study group.

Featured Post

Sociology 500, a Romance, ch 1 pt 1 -- Introducing Bobbie

TOC Well, let's meet Roberta Whitmer. Bobbie entered the anthropology department office and looked around. Near the receptionis...

Friday, September 27, 2019

Backup: Sudden Roommate (1) -- An Old Friend

Backup of https://joelrees-novels.blogspot.com/2019/09/sudden-roommate-1-old-friend.html.



"Ryō Aomatsu! Long time no SEE!"

Even though it had been two years, the all-too-familiar voice gave me just enough warning to brace myself for the slap on the back, just hard enough to knock you over if you weren't ready for it, that had once been part of my daily hell. "How the HECK have ya been?

I turned around and considered my options. I had gained the skills to take him on for real during my junior year of high school. But the headmaster had warned me that, even in self defense, using violence against him would put me on the wrong side of the law.

What kind of law is it that leaves the guy minding his own business at the mercy of the hyper-aggressive?

"What is this? You don't look happy to see me!"

"Give me a break, Jun." I looked over my shoulder at the express train passing behind me.

"Ya got no idea how hard it was ta track ya down!"

"So why did you bother?" The regular train would be coming shortly.

"Whaddaya mean? Yer the best friend I got!"

I didn't have a constructive response to that, so I didn't say anything.

"Two years outa the country servin' yer God 'n ya din't say anything when ya git back. Ya jus' disappeared!"

"Well, yeah. I needed to get a job. And start saving up for school." The PA announced the regular. Seven seconds to arrival is a good example of relativity. I ignored it.

"School, huh? Din't get enougha that?"

"No. I didn't. I like understanding what's going on."

"They jus' teach ya more lies. But that's not important. What's important is I got a --" I detected a hesitation. "-- valuable li'l package needs takin' care of, 'n yer th' only one I c'n trust with it."

The train stopped and I ignored the opening doors. "The last package you wanted me to take care of would've had me serving two years of a different kind of time." But I did mark the nearest door in my mind.

"An' you talked me into makin' sher I din't have it long enough fer the police to catch me with it, fer which I am very grateful."

"Why should I expect this package to be different?"

The conductor urged passengers to board immediately. Usually, the very brief duration of the stop would be an inconvenience.

"It is. I promise. I know you'll want to help me with this."

The door warning beeped and, without answering, I turned and stepped through the door just as it closed. I didn't look back. I had timed it perfectly, and there was no way he could have got on behind me. The conductor was compassionately incompassionate, the doors remained closed, and the train started smoothly forward.

"Thanks," he called through the closed door. "I'll bring it tonight!"

"How did he find me?" I muttered under my breath. "I sure hope he doesn't know where my apartment is."

The woman standing next to me looked at me sideways, questioningly.

"But if he knew where to catch me on my way to work, I guess he probably does."

She was good looking, and I suddenly thought I would prefer it if she didn't think I was crazy.

"Just talking to myself. No phone." I held up my empty hands and grinned sloppily.

She sniffed and turned away. Oh, well. Good looks aren't everything.

"I don't bite, promise." She shuddered and moved as far away as she could on the crowded train, which was not far, and clearly not far enough for her.

I decided there probably was nothing I could say to reassure her, so I shrugged it off and pulled out my phone to start looking for the phone number for the police.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it on topic, and be patient with the moderator. I have other things to do, too, you know.