The Novels

Economics 101, a Novel (Rough Draft) -- My first sustained attempt at a novel, two-thirds finished in rough draft, and heading a little too far south.
What would you do if you and your study partner, with whom you had been seriously discussing marriage, suddenly found yourselves all alone together on a desert island? Study economics?
Sociology 500, a Romance (Second Draft) -- The first book in the Economics 101 Trilogy.(On hold.)
Karel and Dan, former American football teammates and now graduate students, meet fellow graduate students Kristie and Bobbie, and the four form a steady study group.

Featured Post

Sociology 500, a Romance, ch 1 pt 1 -- Introducing Bobbie

TOC Well, let's meet Roberta Whitmer. Bobbie entered the anthropology department office and looked around. Near the receptionis...

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Backup: 33209: Headwinds -- IBM

Backup of https://joelrees-novels.blogspot.com/2020/03/33209-headwinds-ibm.html.

Chapter 10: Parameters

Chapter 11.1: Headwinds -- IBM


(You might think that from this point on, it would be smooth sailing. But that would not make an interesting story. Moreover, designing interface circuits for floppy drives is hard, even when you start with drives that contain their basic electronics. And, of course, technical problems are not the only problems.)

That Thursday afternoon, while I was folding newspapers, Ms. Bight called.

"How's it going?"

"Not bad." 

"Making progress on your computer?"

"Yeah. I discovered that what I thought was MFM when we talked last is not exactly what IBM calls MFM."

"Ah. Good for you. How did that happen?"

"I bought a couple of raw drives, and I'm doing research on how to build the interface electronics and driver software."

"Raw? How raw?"

"No data separator, no electronics. Just the chassis, heads, motors, worm gear, solenoids."

She laughed. "Are you regretting that yet?"

"No way! I'm learning a lot. I just got some raw track writing and reading, with lots of errors, this afternoon. Then I got some FM tracks written and verified, so I'm pretty sure the heads are working . Should be able to work up a state machine for the data separator and modulator state machines for group code recording within a week or so."

"GCR? Not MFM?"

"Well, I'm working on compatibility with a variety of machines, so I'm planning to add the circuitry to do both."

"That's definitely ambitious. Raw tracks. Dang." She was quiet for a moment. I have some bad news, but I don't want you to think it's a permanent decision."

"Oh. Okay." Disappointment drained the adrenaline of the afternoon's success.

"My boss questioned me closely about your interest in Motorola."

"Oh?" The adrenaline drain slowed.

"He didn't specifically say that was the reason, but said he would not approve the internship."

"Oh. Well, ...." With the bad news real, my heart settled a bit.

"I was already intending to go over his head anyway, but, if what you're telling me about being able to read and write data is real, I think I have a strong chance of getting him to change his mind."

"Without FM, the raw read tends to lose sync and drop lots of bits over a track's length, of course."

"Of course. It's to be expected."

"FM encoding was pretty solid."

"Interesting. Sector size?"

"Whole track, not doing sectors yet."

"That's impressive. Can I come take a look at your experimental rig?"

"I think so, I'll check with Dr. Brown."

*****

While I was out delivering the newspapers, I thought about air.

I was walking the route instead of riding my bike. Walking was good exercise, and it allowed me to drop the newspaper directly on most of the customers' porches.

When I was twelve, I would ride my bike and throw the the newspapers onto the customers' lawns, porches, sidewalks, and driveways as I road past. I learned how to bank the papers off the wind as if the newspapers were Frisbees, using the air to help me land the papers (usually) in safe, soft, dry spots.

Before I got on with TI, I worked for a month for a local small business machines company. They sold and serviced copiers, faxes, and similar machines as an independent dealer. The boss had hoped I would be able to help them get into the nascent small office computer market, but I had trouble getting into their workflow.

The company was close enough to home that I could ride my bike, so I did. Part of the road to work was uphill, and the west Texas wind was often in my face as I took that hill. I'd run out of energy at the top, and have to slack back on the pedals for a minute or two while I caught my breath. And it didn't help that I was often running too close to the wire, needing the minutes lost to the wind.

Ideas from novels I had read would return to me as I pumped, and I'd imagine things like gravity-normal propulsion for my bike, and friction-negating stasis fields to get rid of the push-back from the headwinds.

And one day I had this conversation with God:
No friction? Been reading too much Sci-Fi?

This wind bites. A friction negation field would let me slice through it like a knife through margarine that's been sitting out of the fridge all day in summer.

Friction, huh? All friction?

Well, it's easier to imagine a non-selective field.
My mind's eye was directed to my feet on the pedals.
Hmm. Okay, lack of friction could make it hard to keep my feet on the pedals.

True.
Then my focus was directed to my brakes,
Okay, it would be hard to stop, too, ...
... and to my tires.
... if I could even get started, or keep the bike in an upright position.
Now my focus was directed to the various threaded parts -- axles, cranks, brake levers, and so on.
Okay, okay, lack of friction could make it hard to keep the bike itself from falling apart.
Then I saw the bike frame at the molecular level, and the inter-molecular ionic forces which cause friction.
Where does friction come from?

Arrgghh. Interstitial ionic forces. Lack of those forces would lead to universal sublimation. The parts themselves would disappear in various vapors. I get it now. Friction is my friend. I'll quit complaining.

Heh. Just trying to help you get to work on time and in a better mood. Shall we talk about gravity again?

Heh. No thanks. I'll focus on pumping. I do remember that gravity is helpful, too.
On that job, I took the blame on myself for the times when I would get out to deliver supplies or do some simple maintenance, and the customer had problems that I did now know how to handle. After a month, I had no more room for self-blame. I took a day off, interviewed at TI, got an offer, and gave the business machines company notice.

So, you ask me why God didn't explain to me that the boss was making a mistake trusting the office manager to see to my training? Why God wouldn't encourage me to ask the boss for some different way to train?

I'm not sure He didn't try. Even now, I have a bit of pride that keeps me from hearing a lot of things He tries to tell me.

But maybe God wanted me to go to TI instead.

That office manager at the small business machines company tended to waste a lot of my training time talking about getting his metaphorical tubes cleaned, and other things a young single Christian shouldn't be thinking about.

Not that the exposure to his ideas was going to somehow put a curse on me. It might have caused me problems, or I might have found valid ways to deal with other people having problems they needed to talk about. Or both.

But it was not good technical training, and the boss really didn't have anyone else who could train me. The other technician who could have trained me had a bad habit of going on benders and disappearing for a week or a month, and he went on one about a week after I started.

They did end up getting into the small office computer market, and last time I checked they were still in business.
So, how about the wind on your way home today?

It would be nice if it were a tailwind for a change. Sometimes I think you mean it personal when the wind reverses directions before I head home.
I don't really remember if I had a tailwind that specific day. I do recall that, by the time I quit, I had gotten somewhat used to the winds, and to getting out of the house earlier in the mornings.

And, no, I did not try to ride my bike to the TI plant near the Midland Airfield. Not more than once, anyway. Mom and Dad arranged for me to be able to drive the Colt.

Chapter 11.2 Headwinds -- 68701:

[Backed up at https://joel-rees-economics.blogspot.com/2020/03/bk-33209-headwinds-ibm.html.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it on topic, and be patient with the moderator. I have other things to do, too, you know.